Re: Moving VLDB RAC to a new datacenter

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:31:52 +0100

Hi Martin,

On 27/02/2014 17:07, Martin Berger wrote:
> We did similar things several times. Unfortunately you did not tell in
> your email if your storage (FC or NFS?) can be shared across both data
> centers?

All LUNs are connected to the hosts via FC, there are 350km between the two DCs,
it's not possible to connect the remote SAN to the current RAC nodes, but it's possible to connect them to the temporary storage.

> the steps are like:
> 1) make Space from Storage2 available for node1 & node2
> 2) add the new Space from Storage2 to the DiskGroups, remove "old" Space

I'm aware that with ASM data can be migrated between SANs. Anyway, the second part of point 2 - remove "old" space - would be too risky. We definitely need to test the actions before the actual migration without compromising the current production. We also need to be able to "rollback" quickly in case anything goes wrong.

Thanks!

Best regards
Dimitre