Re: Database Change Control Process

From: Iliya Peregoudov <iperegudov_at_cboss.ru>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:34:10 +0400

Our company have developed in-house change tracking and distribution system. This system tracks database objects and database changes. The system uses two major components, change repository and change tool.

Change description contains list of objects this change affects and list of SQL scripts to execute to actually apply the change. The change tool is used to create the change from change description and sql scripts and put the change into the change repository.

The change tool is used to apply the change from the change repository into the target database schema. The tool will check dependencies, execute scripts, and create a record in the change repository about successful change application. These records are used to check dependencies.

Changes are grouped into changesets. The change tool can export changeset from the change repository into file, and can import changeset from file into the change repository. This is used to distribute changesets from developer change repository to client change repository.