Re: Purge RECYCLEBIN by *age*

From: Maris Elsins <elmaris_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:12:07 +0200

Niall,

This is what I was referring to by posting that statement. From "OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Basics 10g Release 2 (10.2)" http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/flashptr004.htm#i1019426

> *7.4.6.2 How the Database Responds to Space Pressure*When space pressure
> arises, the database selects objects for automatic purging from the recycle
> bin. *Objects are selected for purging on a first-in, first-out basis,
> that is, the first objects dropped are the first selected for purging*.
> Actual purging of objects is done only as needed to meet ongoing space
> pressure, that is, the databases purges the minimum possible number of
> objects selected for purging to meet immediate needs for space. This policy
> serves two purposes:
> - It minimizes the performance penalty on transactions that encounter
> space pressure, by not performing more purge operations than are required;
> - It maximizes the length of time objects remain in the recycle bin, by
> leaving them there until space is needed.

Strange, but I couldn't find the same statements in 11.2 documentation.

---
Maris Elsins
_at_MarisElsins <https://twitter.com/MarisElsins>
www.facebook.com/maris.elsins