Re: How to select only columns having values..

From: Kim Berg Hansen <kibeha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:47:13 +0100

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com>wrote:

> Don't use Excel. J

:-)

I use analytics all the time and model clause sometimes and what have you. I don't use Excel to handle the data at all. But I *do* use Excel as a medium of exchange to send *results* to endusers. It is most often more convenient than trying format the output from my query grid into a reasonably good looking PDF or whatever. Give the enduser the Excel file - if he desires a print, then let him worry about column widths, portrait/landscape, or whatever. (I'm still talking adhoc queries, not reporting that has to be repeated at scheduled intervals.)

And even if my hypothetical data analyst didn't use Excel for giving query results to his endusers, he would still have the problem of manually trying to find the 190 columns to delete from the output before handing it to the end user.

(Luckily not a problem I have had, as I don't have a 200 column "generic" table :-) - but I can easily imagine the trouble it could be if you are in a situation where this is the data design you have to live with...)

And then there's also the one usecase for Excel - you can fiddle ;-) Like this tweet I saw today:

"The most popular software for writing fiction isn't Word. It's Excel."

:-)

Regards

Kim Berg Hansen

http://dspsd.blogspot.com