DBMS_REDEF - How online is it, really?

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:03:15 +0000

11.2.0.3.7 on OEL 6, in case that matters.

We've been looking into partitioning some large tables (5 trillion rows, 1TB) so that we can better manage them (drop old data, &c.). Right now I'd say dbms_redefinition may be the leading candidate, because Oracle says it is an online operation. I've been burned by Oracle's idea of "online" operations before - alter index rebuild online, if the code is optimized / hinted to use that index, may be online as far as Oracle is concerned, but it sure wasn't for the end users.

So I'm wondering - has anyone used dbms_redefinition to partition large tables? Is it truly online? Can Oracle keep up with inserts in the meantime?

We are thinking about using RAT to try to play back a typical workload, but before we open another can of Oracle worms, I figured a question to the list might be a good place to start.

Thanks!

Stephan Uzzell