Oracle Installer on Linux - issue with X windows

From: Schauss, Peter (ESS) <"Schauss,>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:00:15 +0000

I am trying to install Oracle 11.2.0.4 on Redhat Enterprise Linux (6.4). I have no physical access to the console, so I have to run the installer remotely. Here is what I have done:
  • On my PC (Windows 7 ), I start Exceed (version 10).
  • On the server I set the DISPLAY to point to the xserver on my PC (export DISPLAY=<ip address>:0).
  • To verify the connection a start xclock from the server.
  • ./runInstaller

The installer starts and gives no errors, but the xwindow from the installer never appears on my PC screen.

The command ps -lf | grep oracle shows that the installer is running.

The command_output_nnnn file shows information about my xserver, the software version, color and resolution specs... so that I know that the installer is talking to it.

One of the DBAs told me that I need version 14 of Exceed. Has anyone else run into this issue and is there a workaround?

BTW, running xterm is not an option in our environment, apparently for security reasons.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss