Re: How do you test your backups?

From: Justin Mungal <justin_at_n0de.ws>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 07:37:34 -0600

Some customer's periodically duplicate their databases from an RMAN backup (ie. the most recently taken "tape" backup) to another system. Some do this on their actual production systems, which I strongly recommend against. We just use the standard duplicate database procedure, and use SET NEWNAME or *_FILE_NAME_CONVERT depending on what seems to be preference. This doesn't at all seem "clever" to me, but we've done it for years and it works.