Re: Why I don't like ASM

From: Svetoslav Gyurov <softice_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:32:17 +0000

From my point of view it's the right tool for the right job. Supporting number of Oracle databases on HP-UX it wasn't my favorite time when I had to create another datafile on RAC using Shared LVM. Bring one of the nodes, change the volume group mode, add logical volume, export, import and so on. CIFS wasn't an option back then because of money it costs. Also got two horror stories on linux with a traditional filesystems - on ext3 the journal was dropped and after a restart to find out all the files were moved to lost+found. Another one was 5TB ext3 fs format by default - it was OK before they had to reboot it after 180 days, the fsck took several hours to complete.

ASM gives you flexibility - either when you want to add or remove disk it happens online. Most useful when you have to migrate you data from one storage to another or simply change the disk characteristics. The only problem I found so far is if you use any kind of snapshot technology on the storage to refresh your DEV/UAT/TEST environments. Actually it's not a problem of ASM itself but the naming standards - if you name your data diskgroups by default DATA next time you create snapshot of this diskgroup on the storage and present it to another server. It is obvious it won't work if your target server already has a diskgroup DATA. Thus if you intend to use similar technology think of the naming standards for the ASM diskgroups. But still it's another reason why I like it - the headers are kept on the ASM disks, gives you the option to reattach the disks to another similar server.

Regards,
Sve