Re: Why I don't like ASM

From: Martin Klier <usn_at_usn-it.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:07:21 +0100

Hi Listers,

Am 24.01.2014 07:16, schrieb Hans Forbrich: <...>
> Depends on how you look at it, which operating system you use, and which
> Oracle product(s) you need. Most of my Oracle database stuff is on
> Linux or Solaris, with limited Windows and *no* AIX or HPUX for my
> current customer base. YMMV if you heavily use Windows or the other big
> *nixes.

<...>

I agree with what Hans said. I'm using ASM in production since 10.1, and got burned several times, with most of the bugs it had it its evolution. But despite that, it has two things that make it attractive:

  • Multimaster- and Multitarget replication of storage (Think: Two cluster nodes, two cheap FC storages, here we go). Compare this free feature to enterprise storages doing replication, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • Easy storage migrations: Give me an additional LUN, and I'll migrate with zero downtime and without expensive gear like IBM SVC or similar.

No doubt that ASM has its limitations and nasty faults sometimes. But in the last ten years, I saw enough enterprise storages to fail, too. And it has not been nicer.

Best regards
Martin Klier

--
Usn's IT Blog for Oracle and Linux