Re: Why I don't like ASM

From: Justin Mungal <justin_at_n0de.ws>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 00:17:43 -0600

Where I'm at the majority of ASM installs are on RAC. We have some stand-alone systems using ASM but that is generally because the customer wanted it. Like anything else there are benefits and drawbacks.

The biggest drawback that I can think of is, as you said, added complexities and dependencies. Patching, especially, becomes more complicated.

From an advantages perspective, I find that using ASM along with enterprise hardware can give you added flexibility. For instance, if a customer needs to migrate to faster spindles you can present the new LUNs to the nodes/server, and then add them to the diskgroup and drop the old LUNs seamlessly. I also like that it can all be managed from the Oracle tool-set, which means you'll have a generally similar experience across platforms. From what I've read there's also less I/O overhead when comparing ASM to a filesystem, but I'm sure that's arguable and would depend on the file system being used.