Re: Talking about Oracle Lab Setup - which VM provider do you prefer?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:00:52 -0700

On 22/01/2014 9:13 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
> Mainly out of curiosity - for those of you that setup Oracle VMs on
> personal hardware, which vendor do you prefer and what are the
> drawbacks (if any) that caused you to go with the one you chose?

I run Linux, Solaris, Windows and MacOSX physical machines. In my lab, the majority are Linux; on the road, I usually take my MacBook Pro as my presentation/demo machine; and I have a bunch of Windows machines (Server 2008R2, XP, Windows 7) to support my customers. My MacBook Pro has both VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox on it, and several of the others have both VMWare Workstation and VirtualBox.

I generally build VMs using VirtualBox because I generally have several going on my machines at a time for demos and I find it to be less resource-intensive. If I need fancy networking, or I need a professional support environment, I use VMWare Workstation or Fusion. Since I own the lab network, DNS issues are not that critical for most of what I do. (I generally don't demo RAC.)

But I am getting away from VMWare products because of pricing policy - lots of value, but for for a high fee. Even their upgrades are getting to expensive, especially for the license count I currently have.

VirtualBox has nearly all I need at a price I like

/Hans