Applied_scn - v$archive_dest

From: saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:30:23 +0100

Hello list,

Is there a reliable way to check latest applied redo scn on Standby destination *from Production site*? Couple of days ago, we set up our monitoring to querying applied_scn from v$archive_dest (11.2.0.3), but due to Bug# 14174798 , our monitoring system started reporting false alarms yesterday.

Description of Bug

The COMMENTS column of V$RECOVERY_PROGRESS displays an incorrect change number for the 'Last Applied Redo' item when the change number exceeds 10,000,000 and contains leading 0s in the lower 7 digits of precision. The same problem also affects the APPLIED_SCN column of V$ARCHIVE_DEST. During the latest occurrence of problem, I watched the SCN progress in one of our impacted databases. Once the leading 0 in the lower 7 digits changed to 1, applied_scn value was updated and alarm got cleared.

During the problem: I also tried restarting apply services on standby, did start/stop of transport services. Performed a couple of global log switches, thinking that one of such operations might help.

Though one-off patch is available, we want to avoid applying this patch because it is a reporting issue and doesn't impact business.

Regards,
Saurabh Manroy