Re: Talking about Oracle Lab Setup - which VM provider do you prefer?

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:02:13 +0100

Hi all,

In my opinion the choice of hypervisor depends greatly on what else you want to do with your laptop. I am using my lab system to run Ubuntu LTS which offers a wide range of options. I can use Linux Containers, KVM and xen hypervisors. I could also use a desktop virtualization software but I don't like any of them particularly. Currently I am very keen on KVM after years of xen usage. KVM offers large pages support and cgroups integration out of the box. LXC sounds interesting but I didn't have the time to explore it properly.

Now using Linux on your lab kit doesn't really suit you if you want to use Windows for email and office software natively. There isn't anything stopping you from using a VM for Windows but it is slightly less user friendly than a native windows (maybe except version 8). I am thinking of printing etc which can potentially be a hassle to set up.

I have tried both mainstream desktop virtualization products and like them both. I really loved ESX as it was beautiful for running Oracle on my hardware. Note that VMware workstation doesn't support shared block devices for RAC. Virtual box does, as does ESX but you will need a client to administer esx comfortably. A CLI interface exists but is not as user friendly as the GUI.

So I guess it all depends. Regardless of what you go for, use a ssd for the VM storage, it really makes a difference.

Martin Bach
martincarstenbach.wordpress.com