Re: EXTERNAL: OT: Linux vendor survey results

From: Rayson Ho <raysonlogin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:47:39 -0500

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM, David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> When Oracle encountered problems implementing their database on RHL that
> required patching of the Linux Kernel, in Oracles option Red Hat didn't add
> these patches into their kernel in a timely manner, typically Red hat would
> wait for the patches to be included into the mainstream kernel and then port
> them back into the Red Hat kernel.
>
> It was for that reason that Oracle adopted the mainstream kernel, enhancing
> it and offering it as an alternative the the RHL kernel.

That's also what an Oracle Sales Manager told me a few months ago.

Oracle engineers developed their own Linux kernel patches and sent them to Redhat to get the performance that Oracle needed for benchmarking. However, it took Redhat too long to integrate the patches into the kernel shipped with RHEL. Eventually the Oracle/Redhat partnership ended and Oracle started shipping "Unbreakable Linux" in 2006.

If you look at the TPC-C benchmark, you will find that many of the Top10 systems use the Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel to get better performance:

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster

Oracle/Sun Server X2-8:
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=112032701

Cisco UCS C240 M3: