RE: DB slow after bounce (Windows)

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 23:09:08 +0000

If the machine wasn't started, then my theory is wrong.

Restarting the service would have restarted the db, but you may want to bounce dbconsole as well. The service name is OracleDbConsole<sid>

If that doesn't help, then Sys Internals may help diagnose further, depending on how much you care about getting to the bottom of the problem vs getting it fixed (which the 3-finger salute is still an option)

Thanks,
T. J.

From: David Ramírez Reyes [mailto:dramirezr_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 5:04 PM
To: TJ Kiernan
Cc: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' (oracle-l_at_freelists.org) Subject: Re: DB slow after bounce (Windows)

Only restart the oracle service, should I have restarted the db also after restarting the service?, didn't thought that could make a difference...

On Friday, 17 January 2014, TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com<mailto:tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>> wrote: First impression, based on the virtual memory i/o - the assumption being that it was set correctly and running fine ,then somebody (or Group Policy) unset this and it took affect when the server was rebooted.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/win.111/b32010/tuning.htm#i1005721

HTH,
T. J.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of David Ramírez Reyes Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 4:42 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) Subject: DB slow after bounce (Windows)

I have Oracle 11.0.1.0 over Windows 2008.

Yesterday we had to bounce the instance due to an ora-04031 error caused by the Automatic Memory Management system, the error is solved by patching to 11.0.2.0 or higher (that's not the problem now).

The main problem is that after bounce (I had to kill the oracle.exe service as I couldn't even connect with sys account), the DB it's beeing so slow. Checking the OEM Performance, I have found that the reason is a very high I/O (virtual memory), but the difference in use is huge!

The I/O was very low and constant before the bounce (at least on the last 10 days), but now has growth about 3 or 4 times.

I've found some high I/O queries that I have tuned, but they were running faster before the bounce, any idea?

I have red that some people has have similar problems but under Solaris, seems like it's only solved after bouncing the server, not only the instance.

Any inputs are appreciated.

David Ramírez Reyes

--

David Ramírez Reyes