RE: Listener Log growth

From: Ndidi Ibeachum <chinedui_at_live.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:51:10 +0100

Dear Rajesh;
Thank you for your reply.
Primarily having options to handling these files from experienced hands point of view in a RAC environment is the point of my mail.It is the doing so without creating problems. I do appreciate the link. I will go over it surely. :)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:29:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Listener Log growth
From: r.aialavajjala_at_gmail.com
To: chinedui_at_live.co.uk; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Ndidi,
 Is your goal to "trim"/"rotate" the listener logs or to purge/manage them using ADR ? Depending on what you are trying to achieve - the methods employed may well be different... ADR will work to purge the logs - this option does not offer you the luxury of having log history available - as in - if your requirement is to keep say 5 old versions - ADR to my understanding will not meet this requirement. If your intent is to "rotate" logs - say every week - having 5 historical versions <35 days of history> - as I see it - you have the following options 1) Use How to rotate or backup or rename listener.log or purge listener log data to avoid large listener.log file? (Doc ID 1457196.1) - note use of "set log_status off" inside lsnrctl...this still requires a manual step (or several) 2) Follow directions in How To Change the Listener Log Filename Without Stopping the Listener (Doc ID 135063.1) - note the additional references that speak to potential issues w/ save_config... 3) Use a manual script... This blog post seems to summarize the options rather well... http://msutic.blogspot.com/2009/06/truncating-rotating-flushing.html

Lastly - from the note you provided it appears that the unpublished Bug has been created as an enhancement request requesting that this functionality be added in a future release - perhaps 12c ? If it's an ER - and there exist manual workarounds - potentially not the highest priority...I cannot speak to whether this made the 12.x DB release or not... Thanks,
--Rajesh

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Ndidi Ibeachum <chinedui_at_live.co.uk> wrote:

Dear Rajesh;
The note reffers: 1438242.1 - Why Are My Listener Logs & Traces Not Purged By The ADR? It makes reference to unpublished bug 13090278. You will also see that Note 135063.1 says the ADR should be disabled. My issue is not where the logs are as I know that. Its keeping them trim as they grow or in other words "rotating" them.

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:41:19 -0500
From: r.aialavajjala_at_gmail.com
To: chinedui_at_live.co.uk
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Ndidi, That is interesting - did Oracle Support give you a Bug # for reference - in terms of the inability of ADR to manage the mentioned log files ?  You should be able to purge/manage listener and scan_listener logs by using the "set base" and "set home" commands inside adrci Copied from http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/where-are-the-logs-for-the-scan-listeners/ [grid_at_rac11gr2node2 ~]$ adrci ADRCI: Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Jun 16 20:58:17 2010 Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. ADR base = "/u01/app/oracle" adrci> set base /u01/app/grid/product/11.2.0/crs/log adrci> show home ADR Homes: diag/tnslsnr/rac11gr2node2/listener_scan1 diag/tnslsnr/rac11gr2node2/listener_scan3 diag/tnslsnr/rac11gr2node2/listener_scan2 adrci> set home diag/tnslsnr/rac11gr2node2/listener_scan1Alternatively you may look at the steps outlined in "Diagnostic Destination For Listeners Is Under Grid_home/Log Instead Of Oracle_base/Diag (Doc ID 1269109.1)"

I'd used the former method w/ success in an environment that was running the same versions as yours - it did help that we had role separation so my fix was to have 2 "listener logtrim" scripts in place... Thanks,
--Rajesh

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Ndidi Ibeachum <chinedui_at_live.co.uk> wrote:

Oracle Ver. 11.2.0.3 (RAC)RHEL 5 -x86-64 Dear Listers;
I use ADR which is quite helpful but it does not manage certain log files with these the listener and scan_listener logs being the exception. Checking with oracle support, they admit that it wont work and is being treated as a bug. Setting the log_file for the lsnrctl console to rename the log file will not work with ADR enabled and neither renaming the file or moving it does the job without some hiccups. Its like circular mayhem; To be (ADR) or not to be (Manually). What then could be a good approach for handling listener and scan_listener log growth? Your opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 17 2014 - 15:51:10 CET

Original text of this message