Re: Listener Log growth

From: Rajesh Aialavajjala <r.aialavajjala_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:29:27 -0500

Ndidi,
 Is your goal to "trim"/"rotate" the listener logs or to purge/manage them using ADR ? Depending on what you are trying to achieve - the methods employed may well be different...

ADR will work to purge the logs - this option does not offer you the luxury of having log history available - as in - if your requirement is to keep say 5 old versions - ADR to my understanding will not meet this requirement.

If your intent is to "rotate" logs - say every week - having 5 historical versions <35 days of history> - as I see it - you have the following options

  1. Use How to rotate or backup or rename listener.log or purge listener log data to avoid large listener.log file? (Doc ID 1457196.1) - note use of "set log_status off" inside lsnrctl...this still requires a manual step (or several)
  2. Follow directions in How To Change the Listener Log Filename Without Stopping the Listener (Doc ID 135063.1) - note the additional references that speak to potential issues w/ save_config...
  3. Use a manual script...

This blog post seems to summarize the options rather well...

http://msutic.blogspot.com/2009/06/truncating-rotating-flushing.html

Lastly - from the note you provided it appears that the unpublished Bug has been created as an enhancement request requesting that this functionality be added in a future release - perhaps 12c ? If it's an ER - and there exist manual workarounds - potentially not the highest priority...I cannot speak to whether this made the 12.x DB release or not...

Thanks,

--Rajesh