Re: Question re security

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:33:31 -0700

On 16/01/2014 10:11 AM, mohammed bhatti wrote:
> I believe the old faces for the most part, took these guidelines from
> the DISA STIG and the new faces just followed what the old faces did.
Seen that. At least the Old Faces were sometimes approachable and you could explain & then negotiate away the worst of it. These days, it's 'by the book'. It's what happens when you send in the second string.

> Oh yeah, don't get me started on the auditing requirements. Basically
> audit EVERYTHING (select/update/insert/delete, ddl, etc).
There is a time and place for EVERYTHING. A project I recently left had that as a legit requirement and, while I agreed with the requirement I did not agree with the implementation. (One of the reasons I left.)

On the other hand, 95% of the audit requirements I see are 'just because', and I'm convinced the person making the recommendation does so because they own shares in Seagate.

A lot depends on what 'they' plan on doing with the data they collect. Seems most of the time they have no idea - other than perhaps giving the next group of auditors something huge to chew on and charge more big bucks for, as in "it's a self-perpetuating cash cow".

/Hans