Re: 3 par recovery manager for Oracle (HP Product)

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:55:16 -0500

So if I am using ASM. Would I see the 1 TB of data in my mpath file system?(we use redhat) So I can make a 1 TB ASM diskgroup, but behind the seens I would only get 200 gb? Then leave autoextend on and as I grow get allocated more space?

There is an oracle white paper about thin provisioning with ASM. I am trying to understand this.

The impression I got is that the SAN engineer sets this up at the LUN level and presents this to your server in the mpath file, but your really not getting that much space. Its in a pool that can be used by other servers, etc...

One concern I had with this is the the performance hit from incrementally requesting more space from the SAN if I have a fast growing DB. The oracle white paper touched on this briefly by saying you can configure 3par with how much you request at a time. I also don't know if this can lead to a bottleneck if there are several servers requesting space from the same LUN at the same time.

My SAN knowledge is rudimentary.