Re: For the Who Runs Virtual Machine Thread

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:44:48 -0700

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:33:25 -0800
> Seems like you may want to take a look at Delphix <http://www.delphix.com/>

I am not going to tell a client to buy that just because their developers will not share a shared resource or follow proper procedures. :)

<Evil Consultant>
Though it does look as though it would be good for the billable hours </Evil Consultant>

I do know shops where that kind of imaging is useful. I always wonder about the ROI of rolling your own out using DataGuard or Flashback vs the capital cost of the software and the admin cost of learning to run it.

> Consider using a scripting language (I prefer Perl) that has built in
> formatting methods.

Be very careful about following this advice. I listened to Jared about 15 years ago and 5 years after that I became responsible for a 30,000 line mod-perl/apache construct.

As always
YMMV
Dave

Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited
dave.morgan_at_1001111.com
403 399 2442