Question re security

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:51:03 +1100

Simple question, hopefully I'll get some answers! :) Because if I don't, some security "expert" heads will roll as a result...

Who here has database servers, app servers, admin and dev workstations, each in its own subnet (4 subnets),
with firewalls between each subnet,
all inside the company's intranet?

I'd just like to know why and what security expectations, imperatives, constraints/conditions are being addressed/resolved by such a setup?

As well if you do, then what is the expected and measured network bandwidth AND latency between subnets, through the firewalls.

"clickety-click grid control and hope for the best" dbas need not reply, thanking you very much...