Re: Laptop Oracle exercises

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:24:46 -0600

Many of the RAC exercises available that use virtual machines work around many storage issues by setting up shared virtual disks directly. I have found that it is a much more realistic exercise to set up a third virtual machine running Openfiler or similar software to share out the disks as iscsi devices. This makes you learn how to connect to the iscsi device, setup the shared disks using ASM or udev, etc., all problems that you are likely to run into in the real world that you wont necessarily see from using a shared virtual disk.

You might also be able to use the openfiler server as your dns server when you set up the SCAN, rather than using a hosts file. Once again, a much more realistic exercise than using the hosts.

--
Andrew W. Kerber