Re: 3 par recovery manager for Oracle (HP Product)

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 14:42:23 -0900

We've purchased this already and one of our SAs has been doing some testing with it.

We currently do cold backups of our databases, using snapshots (EVA). 3PAR is supposed to be better and faster...and it requires RMAN. It also requires an additional database server with all of your Oracle binaries installed on it, including grid if you're using it, and that server is where the snapshots will reside.

 From what I understand, the 3PAR solution is the best of both worlds, though, you don't need to shut down your database to take the snapshot, and the snapshot is much faster than an RMAN backup. Be aware, though, that if you're using ASM, the snapshots are of the entire diskgroup...not just the files for a particular database if that diskgroup is shared by multiple databases. Recovery is also of the entire diskgroup.

I wish I had more to offer, but we haven't yet implemented this. It's high on our to do list, but other projects keep popping up. 3PAR consultants are very helpful!

  • Maureen