Re: Why I don't Like Data Guard

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:03:30 -0700

 > Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 13:18:01 -0700
> From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Why I don't Like Data Guard
>
> On 08/01/2014 11:56 AM, Dave Morgan wrote:
>
> - 'click a button' to fully create and enable a Data Guard-based
> standby. For a 1GB database, the entire DB is cloned and DG enabled,
> with or without FSFO, in about 1 minute. Longer, of course for larger
> databases.
>
> All standbys are monitored and status, including apply location and
> performance is displayed
>
> - 'click a button' to switch to a standby, switch 'back', re-instate,
> fail over, etc.

Cool, it sounds like a valid reason to use OEM, however, this is the DataGuard thread.

> But experienced people, especially those who have scripts that they
> prefer to maintain and test with each new version and patch, will not be
> enamoured of this since it is created by Oracle and maintained at no
> additional fee.

Please provide an administrator time estimate for 1 year maintenance on an OEM install. Especially if you never have to patch and test it.

No additional fee :snort maybe, but there most certainly is an additional cost

Our internal billing is

	2 hours/client per year for maintenance of monitoring and backup scripts
		- DG or ship and apply included if needed
	24 hours/client per year for maintenance of OEM, 1 hour a month, 3 hours every patch, 4 times a year

Please note this does not include the actual time spent monitoring.

I think we barely break even on OEM due to the time wasted applying and backing out patches. I know we make money on the scripts every single year after year 1. Mind you there is way more cash flow in OEM :)

Again, that should be for the OEM thread.

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited