Re: standby databases and memory consumption

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 09:10:01 -0700

> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:19:31 -0900
> From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
> Subject: Re: standby databases and memory consumption
>
> I haven't quite decided how much more or less stressful it would be to have to
> failover to a standby hosted by Amazon....
>
> - Maureen

I am quite sure it will be more stressful, however, if the cost savings are there..... I expect the first fail-over test would be especially nerve-wracking, especially if it wasn't a test :(

I've been playing around with various scenarios for about 6 months. It seems to work, but I cannot grasp true costs without a realistic install.

I'm trying to decide if/which client will fund a proof of concept and costs test.

Bandwidth cost, WAN effects and affects, other adverse impacts on infra-structure, all worry me.

We run our hot-standbys with full memory, however, they often share the machine with staging web servers and other non-critical apps that can be shutdown if need be. I do not need or want to be in an emergency situation and the box replies "Memory not available"

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited