Re: Why I don't Like Data Guard

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 13:18:01 -0700

On 08/01/2014 11:56 AM, Dave Morgan wrote:
> >>Evidently you have not seen the Cloud Control take on Data Guard.
>
> No I have not. However, I suspect there is a pretty competent
> (expensive) team doing it.

Cloud Control - no additional license for the core functionality.

If you are monitoring a DB with the Cloud Control, there is a page which allows you to

  • 'click a button' to fully create and enable a Data Guard-based standby. For a 1GB database, the entire DB is cloned and DG enabled, with or without FSFO, in about 1 minute. Longer, of course for larger databases.

All standbys are monitored and status, including apply location and performance is displayed

  • 'click a button' to switch to a standby, switch 'back', re-instate, fail over, etc.

But experienced people, especially those who have scripts that they prefer to maintain and test with each new version and patch, will not be enamoured of this since it is created by Oracle and maintained at no additional fee.

/Hans