Re: ACL issue

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:59:51 -0700

Only batch jobs were processed between the successful run on Sunday morning and the run this morning. No one but DBAs can add/remove users from the ACL. I did not even log in to either database. Nothing automatically runs that will do the grants, or drop/create an ACL for that matter. The other DBAs are enjoying their week off--I'm the only one working. My biggest concern was that the ACL in production was somehow dropped.

Thanks for your thoughts.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> This problem was almost certainly caused by user error. But another
> possibility is that a trigger was used improperly when adding and removing
> users from the ACL.
>

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Oracle: 11gR2 EE
>> OS: SunOS 5.10 Generic_148888-01 (64 bit)<http://ptcgrid.ghx.com:4889/em/console/ecm/track/hc/view/osGeneral$target=pcntrcts.ghx.com$type=host?event=doLoad>
>>
>> Access control lists were set up in several production and non-production
>> databases about 4 years ago. Certain scheduled jobs use UTL_SMTP. They
>> have been working successfully since they were set up. This morning at
>> 4:00am, two databases began failing when trying to email. The other 50+
>> databases continues working correctly.
>>
>> While troubleshooting the issue, I noticed that the privilege for the
>> specific user was no longer there in the non-production database and the
>> acl was missing from the production database. I re-granted the privilege
>> in the non-production database and the job completed successfully. I had
>> to re-create the acl, assign the host, and grant the privilege to the
>> specific user in the production database and the jobs began executing
>> successfully again.
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1) What would cause this behavior? I have been the on-call DBA since
>> Dec 25th and haven't even looked at these databases until I was paged this
>> morning.
>>
>> 2) Is this common? Is this something we should be checking for? I've
>> been here only 4 months and the lead DBA isn't sure what might have been
>> the root cause.
>>
>> Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>> Sandy
>>

>> --
>> Sandy
>> Transzap, Inc.