Re: Oracle RAC thread

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:15:26 -0700

Ahh, the joys of digest mode and holidays together

> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> We're architecting a new system, and will need 99.5% availability. Looking

I believe this is the wrong metric to use. As others have pointed out it is equivalent to ~40hours/year. The correct question is what is the longest outage the business can afford for any single event?

15 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours?

If the business claims less than 15 minutes they should have real reasons, DataGuard is expensive.

My standard is a simple automatic log ship and apply system from the old days. Train the sysadmins to do the failure-over and you can meet a 15 minute deadline during business hours.

Cheap, easy, tested, robust, runs with 3-5 hours of scheduled downtime per year. Every year.

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited