Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:14:33 -0700

 > From: Jared Still<jkstill_at_gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:21:45 -0800
> Subject: Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories
>
> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Dave Morgan<oracle_at_1001111.com> wrote:
>> >A repository adds complexity and an unnecessary dependence.
>
> I am not sure I understand just what you mean by dependence.
>
> If you have to recover 2 databases when restoring production, the the RMAN
> database is wrong server.

Where is your catalog to recover the production db? For us it is easy, for others....

> There is also no dependence on the RMAN repository when making backups.
Agreed

> The solution to that is don't connect until the backup is completed, and do
> a resync.

Extra work

> The assumption is being made that only for the catalog is recovery for
> production failures.

Oh, very much so, In the majority of SMB shops there is no other need.

> There is a fair amount of reporting and analysis that can be done from the
> repo that cannot be done from the controlfile.
Agreed

Cool to here about the NetBackup stuff too,. I have not used it in 10 years or so.

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited