ACL issue

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:14:22 -0700

Oracle: 11gR2 EE
OS: SunOS 5.10 Generic_148888-01 (64
bit)<http://ptcgrid.ghx.com:4889/em/console/ecm/track/hc/view/osGeneral$target=pcntrcts.ghx.com$type=host?event=doLoad>

Access control lists were set up in several production and non-production databases about 4 years ago. Certain scheduled jobs use UTL_SMTP. They have been working successfully since they were set up. This morning at 4:00am, two databases began failing when trying to email. The other 50+ databases continues working correctly.

While troubleshooting the issue, I noticed that the privilege for the specific user was no longer there in the non-production database and the acl was missing from the production database. I re-granted the privilege in the non-production database and the job completed successfully. I had to re-create the acl, assign the host, and grant the privilege to the specific user in the production database and the jobs began executing successfully again.

Questions:
1) What would cause this behavior? I have been the on-call DBA since Dec 25th and haven't even looked at these databases until I was paged this morning.

2) Is this common? Is this something we should be checking for? I've been here only 4 months and the lead DBA isn't sure what might have been the root cause.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Sandy

--

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.