RE: Private Synonyms

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 08:51:18 +0000

I may have missed something (pl/sql isn't my speciality), but this doesn't look like a NEW threat introduced by the synonym.

If you have privilege X that I want to use I create an invoker rights procedure and allow you to run it, telling you it's really useful You run it, and decide you really like using it - but it's running with (amongst other things) privilege X I then change the procedure to do something different (or extra, perhaps) that you can't see

No need for anything to do with any synonyms - I just have to ensure that you can't see the source of the procedure.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
_at_jloracle

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] on behalf of oracle_at_ukcert.org.uk [oracle_at_ukcert.org.uk] Sent: 21 December 2013 02:01
To: jkstill_at_gmail.com; 'Niall Litchfield' Cc: 'Oracle-L Freelists'
Subject: RE: Private Synonyms

The post v8 behaviour enables user2 to select through user1's private syn, but this can enable user2's privileges to transfer over to user1 through INVOKER rights. user1 controls the private syn that user2 is selecting from so can change that object to be a table with an index function, or whatever, and whenever they like.
If user1 gains user2's privileges then it could access the additional data that user2's invoking privileges allow. So there is a decrease in security with the post v8 behaviour, but this is addressed with INHERIT privileges in 12c. INHERIT privileges adds a layer of permission requirement on top of INVOKER rights to require the invoker to opt-in to allowing it's privileges to be passed on in this way. HTH