Re: Oracle RAC DR test

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:45:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sve and Paresh

The reason for this exercise to check the Tape backup stored offline at remote locations. Company has more than 800+ database and dataguard cannot be setup due to licenses/Servers cost as well as are not mission critical systems. So these environment are regularly backed up on tape which are stored offline and has to be tested on regular basis for any natural disasters.

Also thanks to all as I tested the process using Oracle document and it worked with no errors. I used My laptop with Oracle virtual box with OEM 6 and same patched 11g R2 version. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e41959/clonecluster.htm#CWADD03202

Tx
Sanjay

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:49 PM, Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com> wrote:

_at_Svetoslav; Recovering from (offsite) backups is called poor man's DR strategy :). I have seen this implemented by few startups who chose to use Oracle and few mid size organizations too.

Thanks
Paresh

416-688-1003

Sanjay, I'm confused, are you testing your backups or you are testing your DR ? Usually you setup dataguard before your DR tests ? Why not just install GI on the DR site and then setup dataguard replication. Then you have plenty of ways testing that - either switchover, converting the primary to snapshot database or by opening just read only to verify that the data from the primary is received.