Re: Oracle RAC DR test

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:04:14 +0000

Sanjay,

With Oracle RAC, the name of the host is deeply embedded in the cluster registry. It is even so, that you can not change the hostname of a cluster node, you need to drop de node from the cluster, rename it and add it back again.

So, I think your only option is to do a normal install of the GI on your DR servers. Of course, this is something you can prepare using silent install scripts if you only want to do the installation at the moment of a DR.

regards,

--

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime

On do, 2013-12-12 at 11:06 -0800, Sanjay Mishra wrote: Nassyam

Create Dataguard from 4node to 2 node is not an issue. The main requirement is how to clone Oracle Grid infrastructure using the backup taken for software on Primary site. It is DR exercise where Database restore is not a challenge as long as Grid infrastructure is ready. So key challenges are to identify the various script to be executed after the Software from one of the node is restored on the DR exercise server and how to create the various configuration files including ASM based ocr/voting disk and other ASM configuration.

Once this is done, Database cloning using Tape restore will not be an issue. This is one time exercise to check and document the procedure to rebuild the environment from offshore tape backup

TIA
Sanjay

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:52 PM, Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sanjay,

Are you looking for 4-node to 2-node DR setup?

If so you can refer below links. I usually refer MAA documents.

http://www.oracle.com/au/products/database/maa-wp-10g-racprimaryracphysicalsta-131940.pdf

http://www.oracledba.org/11gR2/dr/11gR2_dataguard_RAC_to_RAC.html

documentsay point to 2-node standby or 3-node, you may need to perform changes only few parameters like FAL_SERVER, LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG so on. You will get idea if you refer those links.

Documents you may not get exactly as per your environment, you can refer them and of course you can modify steps as required.

Hope this helps.

But the below question is confusing still, can you describe more ?

what are the steps for Grid Infrasturcture cloning?

Thank you,
Nassyam Basha
Sent from iPhone

On Dec 12, 2013, at 11:48 PM, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi

Can anyone share the doc/reference for doing DR exercise for 4-node Primary RAC (11g R2) on 2-node DR RAC ? We have 4-Node Oracle 11g R2 RAC with 8 Databases using ASM based OCR/Voting and Databases on Linux environment. Now Company wants to perform a DR exercise where backup from Primary Tape will be used to create the DR environment using only 2nodes. So I appreciate if someone share experience in RAC cloning/Setup as what are the steps for Grid Infrasturcture cloning.

TIA
Sanjay

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Dec 12 2013 - 21:04:14 CET