Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:53:01 -0500

Excellent thread. There is a "magical" workaround to getting older control file from storage media even when CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME = 7 (or whatever the value is) as long as the backups are retained on the media. Not sure if this was available in 8i, 9i but have used this in 10g recovery at a large Canadian grocer. In RMAN configure controlfile autobackup to ON. With that, when you ask RMAN to recover a controlfile to a particular point in time it asks media manager to restore files and provides appropriate file names to the media manager. This works because with controlfile autoback, the backup pieces that have controlfile are named in particular fashion. This is all well documented. It has been 5+ years when this was done so don't remenber the details or the control file autobackup piece naming convention. There are few gotchas with that e.g. if you have an hourly script to add "partitions + tablespace" to table/s, there will be a controlfile autobackup triggered with each tablespace/data file addition (as designed) but this holds controlfile enque for duration of the backup (as far as I can remember)...

Thanks
Paresh
416-688-1003