Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:13:16 -0500

This is a good thread. What I don't like about catalogs is that your production backups may rely on some other database to be up for the duration of the backup.

However, there are some other nice benefits to them apart from recoverability. To answer questions like, how long do my backups take?How long did they take 6 months ago? Are we generating more redo then before? When did the #$_at_!# backup schedule change? Stuff like that which can be nice sometimes.

Andy