Re: EXTERNAL: OT: Linux vendor survey results

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 16:18:54 +0000

I definitely don't want to expand this thread into a broader Oracle and Open source discussion, where Oracle's sins are apparently legion.

But in general Oracle doesn't understand/play well with the Open source community.

I don't believe that is the case with Linux.

The appeal of Linux to Oracle is obvious.

The cost of a solution will be the cost of hardware + software stack.

Where competitors like Microsoft are pushing their 'expensive' operating system as a mandatory component of any SQL server installation, having a 'free' operating system available under an Oracle database stack, then Oracle can get a bigger slice of any same priced pie.

The view from Oracle is that Red Had didn't play fair.

Red Hat have effectively (in Oracles view at least) forked the Linux Kernel, this has allowed Red Hat to overcharge for it's support by providing a barrier to entering the market.

Red Hat enhanced their kernel and keep it as a separate development tree. When new mainstream Linux kernels are released, Red Hat evaluates the changes and then if appropriate migrate them into their kernel fork.

When Oracle encountered problems implementing their database on RHL that required patching of the Linux Kernel, in Oracles option Red Hat didn't add these patches into their kernel in a timely manner, typically Red hat would wait for the patches to be included into the mainstream kernel and then port them back into the Red Hat kernel.

It was for that reason that Oracle adopted the mainstream kernel, enhancing it and offering it as an alternative the the RHL kernel.

I suspect that it would be possible for oracle to produce proprietary drivers for Linux, although I don't really see the motivation for that.

I suspect that incorporating the new driver to the Red Hat kernel might not actually be straight forward.

I can see the motivation for Oracle to not produce a RHL version of the driver, but I suspect that Oracle will contribute the source to the mainstream kernel and Red had can choose to adopt it from there.

If Oracle does retain this code as proprietary, then I can see this damaging the relationship with the Linux community which I believe was relatively good up till now.

Dave

NB. I would classify all the above as educated opinion and definitely not fact!