Re: Testing data usage patterns

From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:51:08 -0800

[shameless plug for a product I manage at Oracle] Even though your workload as described might not be a fit, you should still think about the benefits of HCC on ZFSSA, which is fully supported with 11.2.0.3. If you have licensed Partitioning, then you can partition your larger tables by time, and use HCC on the older (and presumably "colder") partitions to greatly reduce the storage requirements for those partitions, typically 6x-10x with the "query" levels of HCC, and 15x++ with the "archive" levels.

But to answer your real question, i.e. how to determine how frequently data is read and re-read, that's not an easy question to answer in 11.2.0.3. We added Heat Map in 12c to make it easy to track query and modification times at the table, segment, and block (mods only) levels, but prior to 12c, there's nothing built-in that will give you the details you really need to project performance.

You're better off focusing on using RAT or something similar to record or simulate your real-world workloads, and then replay those workloads in a test system with your ZFSSA storage in place. On that note, you say that you have to do some re-linking to use RAT - can you elaborate on what you have to re-link?

Thanks,

-KJ

--
Kevin Jernigan