RE: allowing developers to create guaranteed restore point

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 13:36:37 -0600

That seems much more appropriate. I forgot you could execute shell scripts through dbms_scheduler.

Using external tables to do this felt like poor way to get this done.

Thanks!

From: rjamya [mailto:rjamya_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:31 PM To: Stephens, Chris; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: allowing developers to create guaranteed restore point

Chris,

We do this using external job. restore point is taken via a shell script, this shell script is called via dbms_scheduler job. If you set it up like this, you can give execute on a procedure (in sys schema) to developers. This procedure will run the scheduler job and your requirements will be met.

We recently extended this to our release management, it takes a restore point before release begins, so if something goes wrong, we have that restore point as a failback. Since it is all automated via liquibase, it is hands off for us.

Raj

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.