RE: New behavior in 11g?

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:15:50 -0500

How to reset

and to reset the firewall idle timeout :) ????

Thanks

Rafiq

Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:50:17 -0600
Subject: Re: New behavior in 11g?
From: dramirezr_at_gmail.com
To: maureen.english_at_alaska.edu
CC: phil_at_phillip.im; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Mmm interesting, I don't have that parameter defined, let me test it first. Thanks!
RegardsDavid Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia

On 29 November 2013 10:38, Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu> wrote: David,
The problem appears to be that we missed adding a parameter to our sqlnet.ora file on the newserver. We set sqlnet.expire_time=10 so that the database will check every 10 minutes to make sure that the process on the application server is still alive.
- Maureen

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM, David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr_at_gmail.com> wrote: Interesting problem, am having the same (with less impact) on our db migrated to 11g (we were on 8i, -don't ask why-). Please let me know if you find something on that side. RegardsDavid Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia

On 28 November 2013 16:37, Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu> wrote:

Phillip,

Yes, there definitely is a firewall between the app server and the database server.  I thought it wasthe same firewall as is between the app server and the old database server, but that may not be

true.  Or, the rules may not be the same...or....
I didn't think of this as possibly being a firewall issue, but now that you mention it, we also use IP tables on the new database server.  Even though we did the same on the old database server,

this one could easily be set up differently.
Thanks! Now I have another direction I can go for troubleshooting this problem.
  • Maureen

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Phillip Jones <phil_at_phillip.im> wrote:

Hi,
'LOGOFF BY CLEANUP' occurs when a session hasn't explicitly closed the connection & Oracle has to clean the session up itself.

Sounds like your new server is behind a firewall that drops connections after 2 hours, causing the above. Talk to your network admins and ask what network hardware is between the app and database server. Thanks,
Phil

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu> wrote:

We have an application that has been using a 10g database for years. We just created a new 11.2.0.4 RAC database on a new RHEL5 Linux server.  The audit trail, however, shows the last entry for that user as doing a 'LOGOFF BY CLEANUP'. I'm 95% sure that there hadbeen no communication between the application and the database for this user for the 2 hours before it disappeared...I was monitoring netstat output and the audit trail.

I'm also sure that this is related to either some kind of timeout on the new database server, or some kind of timeout in the database.  IDLE_TIME for the profile is set to UNLIMITED, so it's not that.  No alert log info and no trace file info to show anything

is wrong.
It really looks like something is killing the Oracle process, but I don't know where else to look.  Is there some kind of system parameter that may have been set that

kills processes that are essentially inactive?

- Maureen