Re: Teradata article about exadata

From: Kurt Van Meerbeeck <kurtvm_at_telenet.be>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:38:02 +0100 (CET)

I work on Netezza. It runs a datawarehouse that we migrated from oracle 11g. Biggest fact table is 1.8TB.

We run on a twinfin 6 and a twinfin 3 which we parallel load. So both contain the same data and are located at seperated sites. We use the twinfin 3 for adhoc queries (analytics) and twinfin 6 for dashboards. A couple of OBIEE servers sit in front of it with a layer7 loadbalancer.

I only have positive things to say about netezza. It's blazing fast for starters. And it's amazingly simple. You create a table, load it, generate optimizer stats and start querying. No indexes, no partitions.

It does have zonemaps, which are kind of like exadata's storage indices. And you need to think about data distribution (and organisation) across the blades but that's about it.

In oracle we had to spend a lot of time tuning queries using sql profiles, forcing plans, maintain plan stability etc. .
A couple of days every week at least.

In the last year, I didn't have to tune a single query on netezza!

Concurrency might be an issue but we run OBIEE with about 400 power users that do adhoc analytics with no problem. (to be honest, we did have to tweak the system a bit to change behaviour of the optimizer's JIT statistics - basically 2 parameters) With Oracle, most dashboards in OBIEE had to be cached to get some performance. With netezza, we don't cache anymore on OBIEE!

There are some downsides of course ... like you can't do DDL during backups (truncate). Or if you want to change a column's datatype (varchar2(10) to varchar2(12) for example), that means recreating the table.

I'm a real Oracle fan ... but find me an exadata guy who didn't have to tune a single query since going in production ! (and i didn't even mention the price ;-) )

cheers,
Kurt