Setting MAXSIZE for a datafile less than UNLIMITED

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:05:18 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

Creating new DBs in 11.2.0.3 and my SOP has been to create datafiles with a MAXSIZE of 31G (8K blocksize). I thought I should revisit -- and *document* -- that SOP, but all I can remember is a long-lost discussion (here?) about potential issues where a datafile is allowed to grow to the maximum 32GB (minus 1 block).

Anyone with a memory or decent googling skills recall? The only close threads I could find on Oracle-L were a "headroom" one from '09 and a "MAXSIZE 32767M" one from '06, but those are not what I remember.

TIA! Rich