Re: Practice of using chopt to disable database options

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:14:17 -0700

On 15/11/2013 12:51 PM, Rich Jesse wrote:
> I have screenshots of when I last installed 11.2.0.3 EE for our
> current system. The EE options screen in OUI has every option,
> including Partitioning, unchecked, yet there are partitioned tables in
> SYS. Perhaps that's one of those silently-installed options:
Rich,

Partitioning is the primary example of functionality that is required in the dictionary and is automatically included in the installation for that reason. Remove it using chopt at your risk.

Which is why Support has the note "Common Questions On The Partitioning Option Installed In the Oracle Database (Licensing, Install, Remove) (Doc ID 1312416.1)"

However, there are a lot of additional vague areas.

For example, Locator is free and included in all Oracle editions. Locator uses exactly the same code as Spatial option - Spatial option is a superset. It is not easy to install Locator but avoid Spatial. "How To Deinstall Oracle Spatial Keeping Oracle Locator (Doc ID 1070647.1)"

There are likely notes for the other options as well.

/Hans