RE: Practice of using chopt to disable database options

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:51:04 -0600 (CST)

Scott writes:

> Oracle actually uses licensed options like partitioning behind the scenes in
> AWR (and maybe in other places), so by disabling the option, you could in
> fact be breaking other functionality. Some of the options are
> automatically installed, and it's easy to use them unintentionally, but you
> don't get charged just because they've been installed, only if they are
> currently in use (and I don't mean in use by core Oracle functionality that
> you have no control over).

I have screenshots of when I last installed 11.2.0.3 EE for our current system. The EE options screen in OUI has every option, including Partitioning, unchecked, yet there are partitioned tables in SYS. Perhaps that's one of those silently-installed options:

select name, detected_usages
from DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS
where name like 'Partition%';

NAME	DETECTED_USAGES