"deinstall" utility causes loss of tmp space

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:32:54 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

With the license discussion on options whether used or not, I decided it would be a good idea to reinstall 11.2.0.3 on our new AIX 7.1 boxes, just in case. OUI no longer "deinstalls" (major OCD hangup there), so I ran $ORACLE_HOME/deinstall/deinstall then swore a bit because it attempts to be
"smart" when I don't want it to be.

When it completed, /tmp reports as "missing" ~250MB for each time the deinstall ran. In other words, "du -m /tmp" finds 4MB of files, but "df -mP" reports 250MB used. "fuser [-d] /tmp" shows nothing oracle-related. A reboot fixes it, but obviously that's not where I'd like to go.

Maybe that's why MOS 884232.1 quietly recommends not running it. Grrrr.

Thoughts on how to troubleshoot this w/o a reboot? I plan on renaming the
"deinstall" so it can't accidentally be run as

Thanks,
Rich