RE: Practice of using chopt to disable database options

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:26:58 -0800

If you look at the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk, You'll see there are more options you can disable or enable through remaking the oracle executable than through the installer. When Real Applications Testing was introduced, turning it off during installation was not possible. It was done through the make command. Also at one time if you chose to turn off "Oracle Data Mining RDBMS Files" through the installer, the Data Mining Option still showed up in your banner unless you again remade the executable with "dm_off"

I'm not sure about publishing the entire contents of the make file, ut it's always worth a read!! It's how I found out sometime ago the Spatial Data Option can no longer be turned off. Anyway, a snippet from the 11.2.0.4 make file:

"sdo_off: sdo_warn sdo_on

        $(SILENT)$(ECHO) Warning: sdo is always turned on. sdo_off is disabled."

Now this does not mean you can use the Spatial Data Option without paying for it, but it does mean part of the Enterprise Edition is dependent on having the SDO installed. This has been so since at least 10.2 I don't have make files back further than that.

an A. MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Computing Division
To offer the best IT service at the lab and be the IT provider of choice.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark Bobak [Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com] Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 9:37 AM
To: fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Practice of using chopt to disable database options

Hans,

There seems to be a considerable level of contradiction in the documentation and in peoples¹ opinions, even some that work for OracleŠ :-)

Looking at the 11gR2 installation guide, here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e47689/inst_task.htm#BJFJCB JF

If you scroll down to the section that says "Select Database Edition², you¹ll find:
³If you click Select Options, then based on your selection you can enable or disable components from the components list. This screen enables you to customize the database. The components available in this screen are:

  • Oracle Partitioning
  • Oracle OLAP
  • Oracle Label Security
  • Oracle Data Mining RDBMS Files
  • Oracle Database Vault option
  • Oracle Real Application Testing²

Which seems to clearly indicate that you have the option to install (or not) several different, separately licensed options.

In that same document, here:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e47689/install_overview.htm #i1106622

Under the ³Notes:² section, you¹ll find this:

"* Ensure that you install only those products for which you have a valid license.²

So, this seems to show, pretty clearly, in 11gR2 documentation, the *opposite* of what you were asking forŠ :-)

-Mark