Re: Practice of using chopt to disable database options

From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:39:53 +0530

You should review the standard licensing document which is available for each release; the 12cR1 version is here <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/license.121/e17614/toc.htm>, the 11gR2 version is here
<http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/to_toc?pathname=license.112/e47877/toc.htm>, and the 11gR1 version is here
<http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/to_toc?pathname=license.111/b28287/toc.htm>.

I don't know if there is a single official document that states how we charge for database options, but maybe the below phrase in the 11gR1 licensing guide at the beginning of chapter 2 is relevant; however, I am not a lawyer, nor am I familiar with the standard licensing agreement a customer agrees to when licensing Oracle Database software, and I'm sure there is language in that agreement that is relevant to the question at hand:

You may not use the options, packs, or products described below without separately purchased licenses. The fact that these options, packs, or products may be included in product CDs or downloads or described in documentation that you receive does not authorize you to use them without purchasing appropriate licenses.

-KJ

--
Kevin Jernigan
Senior Director Product Management