Re: dbms_space.space_usage and effectiveness of purge operations

From: Stalin <stalinsk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:28:29 -0800

It all started with a question i had posted in Richard Foote blog on Index rebuild vs. Coalesce vs.
Shrink<http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/index-rebuild-vs-coalesce-vs-shrink-space-pigs-3-different-ones/>, check
out the question section of the post. Richard was so nice to even perform a quick test and made a separate blog post here<http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/reuse-of-empty-index-leaf-blocks-free-four/>. I will have to see where i read that :) and check my notes, if i even made any references to FS2 blocks getting on freelist.

FYI... using dbms_space.unused_space always returns 0 for unused blocks.

Thanks,
Stalin