Re: dbms_space.space_usage and effectiveness of purge operations

From: Martin Klier <usn_at_usn-it.de>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:00:27 +0100

Sorry if I'm obfuscating the intentions of th OP, but maybe some basic thoughts about the motivation to coalesc indexes are to be asked for.

Why would we want to coalesce indexes anyway? Ok, after deleting huge amounts of data that will never come back, to save space and maybe reduce the index blevel.

But for a "breathing" or steadily growing dataset, why bother?

It might be a heretical question, but it would be nice to hear opinions. :)

Thanks a lot
Martin

--
Usn's IT Blog for Oracle and Linux