RE: Oracle 8i crashed: system ts needs more recovery - how do I recover from this?

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:28:32 +0000

If you have been running this old system for years then it would seem logical that a backup process was set up at one time. If rman was not being used to back up the database then maybe manual hot backups were being made and you just need to look in a different location to find those backup files. Do you have a tape management system? Perhaps the backups were being dumped to tape and the old backup you found was just never removed. The might be worth checking.

If you are unable to "restore" the database on the new server one other option might be to see if nightly full exports were being taken of the database. If exports were being taken then creating a new empty database and populating it with the export might be an option.