Re: SV: Oracle 32-bit and 64-bit client on Windows

From: Kim Berg Hansen <kibeha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:45:57 +0100

I would say it depends on *how* your program searches for the correct client.
If you open a command prompt and type sqlplus, you will get the sqlplus of the client installation that is first in the PATH environment variable.

But if for example your program uses ODBC connections, the 32-bit Oracle client will have registered itself with windows as a 32-bit ODBC driver, and the 64-bit client will have registered as a 64-bit driver and the information is in the registry and not dependent on paths. You can then create ODBC datasources using C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe or C:\Windows\system32\odbcad32.exe respectively, and when you run a 32-bit program it can only see datasources created in the 32-bit environment and when you run a 64-bit program it can only see datasources created in the 64-bit environment.

Other programs might likewise use registry information rather than the path. Or some programs might allow environment variable ORACLE_HOME to overrule and then you can set that environment variable individually at startup of your different programs.

32-bit and 64-bit can coexist - it is more a matter of how your program use the Oracle Client Software. OCI libraries? JDBC or ODBC datasources? OLE DB? (If the latter then I think I recall that OLE DB there can only be one in a windows installation, it cannot be in multiple homes.)

Regards

Kim Berg Hansen

http://dspsd.blogspot.com
kibeha_at_gmail.com